Get in touch for customisation and pricing - 01822 258 022
What was our design brief?
To create a premium quality, versatile drop handlebar bike using steel tubing. It will be made in our UK factory, batch produced to offer faster lead times and lower cost to our customers.
The bike will be focused on endurance riding, touring, bike packing and long days out on varied terrain. It should be equally at home on tarmac or gravel, and capable of being loaded with either traditional panniers or modern bike packing equipment.
How has this been achieved?
Steel bikes have been present in the Enigma range for over 10 years, and although we’re now known for titanium, the roots of frame building lie in the tradition and skills honed over generations of steel frame builders. In a world of carbon and aluminium bikes there is something ‘Enigmatic’ about a modern steel bike, that provides a beautiful ride quality and modern performance blended with classic styling.
Our most recent gravel and touring bikes have been made from titanium, our Escape and Etape models have given us a platform to tune and test geometry. In the last few years we have had increasing requests for steel versions of these bikes, and the time has come to offer a production version – the Endeavour.
Jim Walker, founder and owner of Enigma has been working with steel bikes for 40 years. Using his experience and that our of younger frame builders we have selected the finest quality tubing from Reynolds in Great Britain and Columbus and Dedacciai from Italy, to provide sublime ride quality, low weight, modern performance and classic styling.
The Endeavour features the latest flat mount brake standard, 12mm bolt thru axles, and a versatile cable routing system to utilise mechanical, electronic and wireless systems.
Naturally the bike features clearance and fittings for mudguards and pannier mounts.
Who is it for?
Many of these custom requests came from riders who live for long distance riding, and endurance racing events such as the TCR and Enigma sponsored Pan Celtic Race. The Endeavour will be focussed on this riding style, the geometry is tuned for stable, confidence inspiring handling. Most riders will use the bike on tarmac at least 50% of the time, but will also need to have capability to continue on gravel, broken roads, bridleways and trails. With this in mind tyre clearance is key, and the Endeavour is optimised for 32-40mm tyres.
Ultegra R8000 Specification
- FrameEndeavour ST
- Frame finish Painted Fade Design
- Logos Painted
- Axel142x Rear Bolt Thru
- Seat Collar Enigma Alloy
- Fork Painted C-SIX CX-DSC Full Carbon
- Headset Enigma Evo TK036A
- Stem Painted Enigma Alloy
- Handlebar (O-O or C-C!!) Pro Discover Handlebar - Gravel
- Saddle Enigma Ellipse
- Seatpost Painted C-Six Carbon 31.6
- Rims Hope 20 Five Wheelset
- Tyres Panaracer Gravel King 700x38
- Tubes Conti
- Chainset Shimano Ultegra R8000 172.5mm 34/50t
- BB Shimano BBR60B
- STI Shimano Ultegra ST-R8020
- Rear mech Shimano Ultegra RDR8000GS
- Brake calipers Shimano Ultegra BR-R8070 flat mount
- Brake Rotors Shimano SM-RT800 140 & 160
- Cassette Shimano Ultegra CSHG800 34t
- F Mech Shimano Ultegra FDR8000
- Chain Shimano CN-HG601
- Tape Enigma embossed
Frame Technical Information
- Material Columbus/Dedacciai/Reynolds Mix
- Frame Weight TBC
- Bottom Bracket 68mm British Thread
- Seat Tube (internal) 31.6mm
- Seat Tube (external) 34.9mm
- Front Derailleur Attachment 34.9 band on
- Headset ZS44/28.6 - EC44/40
- Dropout Arrangement 12x142
- Maximum Tyre Clearance 45c
- Brake Type Disc - Flat Mount
- Extras Eyelets for Rack & Mudguard Fittings
- Cable Routing Suitable for Mechanical, DI2, EPS and ETAP